Our network of web sites have rules to make sure things run smoothly and to
keep jackassery to a minimum. Keep in mind these rules apply to every section of
Conlangs, not just the forums, and they apply to all
sites within The Hive network - including, but not limited to user profiles,
signatures, avatars, chat rooms, and so forth.
- No Pornography
- Any picture, flash movie, video, or link to one of the previously mentioned things that contains nudity is
forbidden and will immediately be deleted upon notice of one of the moderators or administrators, and
you will be put on probation.
- Other Images
- Ideally other images should be uploaded to ButterImages
and posted from there - this ensures we always have the images, because
you never know when flikr, photobucket, imageshack, and so forth could
disappear along with all the images on them -- sounds crazy but that does happen to web sites from time to
time -- remember pownce, loudeye, bolt2k, etc? Didn't think so.
- All profanity, in English or other language, should be kept to an absolute
minimum to keep this web site work and family friendly. While it's
asinine to believe one can completely avoid profanity, using it too much
makes one look like an idiot. Keep it down, keep it clean.
- We do not owe you anything
- The content, community, web site, etc are completely free. Therefore we do
not owe you anything. However, we will do our best to please the community,
but no single user is more important than another and rules apply to all users.
- This is filling up the forums, chats, comments, and so forth with unnecessary
garbage. Spamming rules are less strict when posting on a social board, but even then, excessive spamming warrants a
probation or in some cases a banning.
On Discussion forums, spamming is not
tolerated. Spamming includes multiple posts with little relevant content, such as "good point", "ok", and "I agree".
Also advertising web sites that are not within The Hive arena is forbidden and could be subject to post or account
This also includes posting links to malicious files, scripts, and so forth
- including scripts that have a lot of popups, annoy people, Rickrolls, Mormon
Jesus, and anything similar at all - there's a large area of interpretation
here so be careful what you link.
- Ad Removal
- As said in the Terms of Service, users must
agree when joining "to not use scripts or programs, or promote said scripts or programs, that will hinder The Hive's advertisements or ability to communicate with users."
At the very least this means not telling other users how to do
these things, especially how to block ads - it's what we do for a living.
- Contribute to the conversation
- Think of it this way. Ask yourself when chatting, posting on a discussion
forum, or similar: "Does this contribute anything valuable to the argument/discussion?" If the answer is no, the post is most likely
spam or just stupidity - don't post it.
- This is a clear insult to another user, both direct and implied. "Joke" insults must be used with discretion; if a moderator interprets your joke post as a true insult, it will be deleted.
- This is posting with the intention of annoying other users with disruptive behavior. If a moderator views your post(s) as
trolling, they will be deleted and you could be put on probation or banned
Chat and Quotes
These are rules related to chat and chat quotes specifically
These are mostly chat specific rules, keep in mind the General Conduct
rules at the beginning of this page also apply here - just because they aren't
mentioned against doesn't mean you're exempt.
- No Spamming
- We saw the URL the first time, do not show it again. Also don't go around
asking "asl", nobody asks that anymore - at least not on The Hive
- No Proxies
- Using proxies to chat is forbidden in most cases, and abuse of proxies
will cause us to ban them all together again.
- No attacking the chat service
- Doing anything that can damage, crash, shut down, etc the chat service is
- No warez, cp, or botnets
- No warez, this isn't the pirate bay. No cp/child porn/girlies/jb/etc this
isn't some crappy image board hosted in the Netherlands.
- No clones
- No more than 3 clones per host, and that means no more than 3 nicks per
user. Abuse of this rule will lead to a very quick ban in that chat rooms
and the web site.
- Your timestamps aren't best
- The option to automatically remove timestamps applies to standard
timestamp styles such as [11:12pm], [23:12:30], (11:12pm), (23:12:30) - any
other style may not be removed. If you have especially hideous timestamps,
please remove them yourself - if moderators are forced to remove them, they
may get annoyed and just delete your quote.
- No MSN, Live, MS Chat
- This applies to any other chat that shows usernames and messages on
different lines, or the worst style of all where the buffer is updated in
reverse and newer messages are at the top - that might even get you banned
for using such a terrible client.
- What quotes are not
- Quotes are not places to make requests; quotes are not a place to
complain about a mod or disrespect them, it won't get posted - if you
thought it would, you're an idiot; not a place to submit trouble
tickets; It's not for anything other than posting funny things from that
chat, nothing else - we cannot stress this enough.
This service is provided for free to you. We reserve the right to deny the
service to anyone, at anytime, for any reason (or no reason) at all.